SPECIAL FORCES ASSOCIATION CHAPTER 38
(The LTG William P. Yarborough Chapter)
PO Box 223, Ft. Campbell, KY 42223
2023 Chapter 38 Legion Scholarship Announcement
Chapter 38 is announcing its annual college scholarship program specifically focused on, but not limited to, those members of the Legion Family that do not meet the eligibility requirements for other scholarship programs or have passed along their own educational benefits to others. Those that would be eligible for this scholarship are current active-duty Soldiers assigned to 5th SFG, their spouses and dependents; Gold Star Families; members of Chapter 38, their spouses and dependents; and Veterans (with minimum 10 years of service with the 5th SFG) as well as their spouses and dependent children.
Scholarships will be awarded in the following disciplines – General Studies, Vocational, and Arts. General Studies are those pursuing traditional education outside of Arts or Vocational; Arts disciplines are those pursuing education in traditional art fields (music, visual, dance, theater), but will also include education in architecture, media arts, and computer design; Vocational are those pursuing skills required for a specific trade (carpentry, welding, plumbing, etc).
Requirements: Must be a current member, or family member of Chapter 38; or currently assigned, or family member, of a Soldier currently assigned to the 5th Special Forces Group (SFG); or a 5th SFG Veteran or family member with a minimum of 10 years of assignment in the 5th SFG; or a member of a Gold Star family.
To apply – the following documentation is required:
- A 150–200-word essay on “What the winning of the Scholarship would mean to you mentally and financially, What your degree path is, How you would use that degree within the community and What you do outside of school.” The essay will be typed in 12 pt. Times New Roman font, double spaced with a 1-inch margin on all borders. Applicant’s name, address, email, and page number will be in the upper left corner of each page. Title is optional. Essay must be signed, physically or digitally.
- A Sponsorship Letter (Current or former member of the 5th SFG) addressed to SFA 38 Scholarship Committee. The letter should discuss the connection to 5th SFG and the importance of the scholarship to the candidate. This letter must be signed, physically or digitally.
- For impending High School Graduates, a copy of current high school transcripts and an acceptance letter from the intended college of choice; for Under Graduate / Post Graduates, a current / most recent college transcript(s).
- Two Letters of Recommendation. If applying for a Scholarship in Arts, one of these letters must come from an arts instructor, teacher, or coordinator to verify history, desire, and future intent to pursue an Arts education. These letters must be signed, physically or digitally.
- Soldier’s orders ORB/ERB/DD214/Soldier Talent Profile (IPSS-A). Active-duty Soldier’s assignment orders are acceptable for spouse and dependent applicants.
All required documents must be postmarked no later than 15 April 2023 to the address on the above letterhead.
All questions regarding any requirements need to be addressed to the Scholarship Committee chairperson at [email protected] . A check list is provided below.
“Legion” Scholarship Check list:
- Essay (Financial Impact of Winning)
- 150 word minimum- 200 word maximum
- Typed in 12 pt. Times New Roman font
- Applicant’s name, address, email, and page number in upper left corner of each page
- Double spaced
- Title optional
- Signed (physical or digital)
- Signed Sponsorship Letter (from 5th SFG Veteran or Soldier) signed (physical or digital)
- Signed Letter of Recommendation #1 signed (physical or digital)
- Signed Letter of Recommendation #2 signed (physical or digital)
- Soldiers’ ORB/ERB/DD214/Soldier Talent Profile (IPPS-A) or assignment orders to show assignment to 5th SFG
Note: If applying for an Arts Scholarship, one of the two Letters of Recommendation must come from an art instructor, teacher, or coordinator.